Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Our first week home!

Ok everyone, sorry it took so long to post an update!  I have been figuring out how to stay up long enough to do anything other than feed Amelia, change diapers and feed myself.  I'm lucky if I get a shower in.  Our days are lived in the 3-4 hour intervals.  Diaper change, try to nurse, finish with a bottle, diaper change again, pump, take a nap-rinse and repeat.  



The first week has been awesome and exhausting.  Aaron and I have got a really good rhythm at night.  I get up and make the bottle, Aaron works on waking up, then he feeds Amelia while I pump and we do the diaper change together.  She has really terrible diaper rash (it is getting better, but it makes me sad), so we are not using wipes-we are doing the butt rinse in the sink and using Monistat to kill any yeast and butt paste to help soothe.  So, needless to say, diaper changes are a 2 person job right now.  I hope it heals before Aaron goes back to work!  We are doing the air-out butt thing right now- tummy time on the floor with Daddy with no diaper on (lying on a towel, because this kid poops a lot).  The diaper rash and sleep deprivation have been the only 2 challenges this week.  Otherwise its a dream come true! 


A couple of events from this week:  We have had a visiting nurse over a couple of times.  Since Amelia is a preemie, we qualified for her to come and weigh her, check her vitals and make sure everything is going well at home.  Its been nice to get the weight update a couple of times-by the way she is up to 7lbs 3oz!  


 We saw the pediatrician last week, and go back this week. He was pretty impressed with her!  Aaron and I both got pertussis and tetanus shots because its been a long time-my arm hurt for 3 days!!!  We had a follow up with the pediatric opthamologist on Monday, and she said that the vessels around the retinas in Amelia's eye are officially fully developed so we don't have to have any more checks for ROP anymore!  (Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP), previously known as retrolental fibroplasia (RLF), is an eye disease that affects prematurely-born babies. It is thought to be caused by disorganized growth of retinal blood vessels which may result in scarring and retinal detachment. ROP can be mild and may resolve spontaneously, but it may lead to blindness in serious cases.)  This is awesome news-no more of the evil eye exams where they pry open her eyes with little clamps!


Yesterday, we got to go to Audrey's photography studio and get all of these fabulous pictures taken!  I LOVE them!!!!  I can't wait to hang them all over our house!


Amelia Facts:  She poops constantly, still in Newborn sized diapers, eats about 90mL (3 ounces) every feeding, we try to nurse (she likes the left side the best), she usually wakes up every 3 1/2 hours to eat, she loves sleeping in her Rock & Play bassinet, likes tummy time with support under her tummy (a towel if on the floor, or her Mommy's "pillows"), her dog and cat are not interested in her, she loves bath time until we get to cleaning her butt-then she's over it, we still do swaddle baths, she usually poops or pees right we we put cream on her butt, she makes us laugh because she gets frantic when she's hungry and shakes her head back and forth looking for a food source (I'll catch it on video and post it-it's hilarious!), she also makes nom nom nom noises while sucking her foo-foo, we call her pacifier a foo-foo because that's what I called it when I was little, I sometimes have to hold her foo-foo in so she can fall asleep, and she wearing newborn size clothes-some are too big depending on the brand, I didn't know that such loud toots and burps could come out of someone so small, and she is the most beautiful thing I've every seen!

Look how happy she is to be a Cardinal Fan!!!  She's excited for Spring Training to start!

We love being home!!!!!

xoxo,
Emily

ps-I'll post more pictures next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment