Thursday, February 28, 2013

Cleaning Fragile Stuffed Animals

Let me start off by telling you too much information about myself.  I'm 29 and I still sleep with a stuffed animal.  Don't judge me.  It is the teddy bear (Poppy Bear) that my PaPa gave me when I was just 2.  I have slept with him ever since.  Seriously, stop laughing, it's not nice.

So anyway, now that I gave you a little T.M.I. on to the real subject.  After Amelia had her bottle this morning, she spit up a little, and it got on Poppy.

Poppy Bear
Poppy's tummy-that's a little bit of spit up, but mostly it is the worn part where his fur has fallen out.

Poppy hasn't been through the washing machine in a really long time (and honestly I don't remember the last time he had a "bath"-gross, I know).  Well I knew I would have to do something now.  A while ago, I stumbled on this post on Pinterest about washing stuffed animals that cannot go through the washer.  I had been meaning to try it with Poppy, but just hadn't gotten around to it yet.  I read through the post again, to see what I needed.  She recommends using HE laundry soap, a toothbrush and white towels.  We aren't special enough to have a front loading washing machine, so I didn't have any HE soap.  I figured baby shampoo would be gentle enough, so I gathered my supplies.

I didn't have any extra toothbrushes either, but we had these "toothies" left over from when Amelia was in the NICU.  It's just a tiny sponge on a plastic stick.  I got my towels together and a bowl.



I made some soapy water with the baby shampoo and spot cleaned all of the spots of spit with the "toothbrush".  Then I cleaned his face and paws.  After that I soaked the rag and gave him a gentle scrubbing.  WOW there was a lot of cat hair on him.  I ruffled up his fur to get him good and clean.  


When I was done washing him, I dabbed him dry with a towel.  Then I put him in the dryer on low heat, delicate cycle for about 12 minutes with a damp blanket.  When I took him out, we looked great!  He had fluffed up a bit, and smelled MUCH better!  He feels way softer now too...time for bed! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment